Olatunji Kosile

March 7, 2013

Box Score

SAVANNAH, Ga. --The University of Maryland Eastern Shore dropped its regular season finale to Savannah State 71-54 Thursday night. The loss drops the Hawks to 2-24 on the season heading into the conference tournament March 11-16 in Norfolk, Virginia. Troy Snyder and Olatunji Kosile would mark team highs for UMES with 12 points each.

Winning the tip the Hawks got into its offense early with a score from Louis Bell. Opening the game early with the lead, UMES fell behind 7-4 at 17:10. Kevin Mays would post a score for UMES to bring the Hawks within three points at 17:30.

Bell returned to score for UMES with a two pointer from the left wing. Trailing 9-6 at 15:21, a jump ball would take UMES into the first media timeout to regroup. Kosile brought the Hawks within one-point after a score in the paint. His second score would give UMES its first lead of the game with 14:10 left in the first half.

Troy Snyder gave UMES a slight advantage following his two converted free throws. On Savannah State's following possession, Dominique Cowell would create a Tiger turnover that would lead a UMES score on the other end.

Mays scored his second attempt for the Hawks with a layup from the right-side block. Mays and Snyder got into early scoring rhythms for UMES with four points each, and less than nine minutes remaining in the game.

With 5:16 remaining in the first half, UMES was down by six points (26-20), and looking to keep the game closer than it appeared on the court. Wanting a timeout to draw-up a play for his offense, head coach Frankie Allen called for one at 4:31.



The Hawks first play out of the timeout went to Kosile in the paint. Attempting a dunk on the play, Kosile would get fouled on the way up. Stepping to the line for his two attempts, he would convert both for UMES.

Down 28-22 at 3:29, UMES was perfect from the free-throw line, scored 14 points in the paint and grabbed 10 rebounds. Less than a minute ticked off the clock and UMES was down by 11 points (35-24) with a minute remaining in the first half.

Mays opened the second half for UMES with a shot from just inside the free-throw line. The Hawks needed to make up for a 16-point (42-26) deficit, and found it facing a momentary comeback after a score by Snyder.

UMES would go on a 6-0 run at 15:18, and were threatening before a shot clock violation turned the ball over to Savannah State. Down 10 points (42-32) with 14:13 remaining in the game, UMES had the ball under its basket for the inbound play.

Ishaq Pitt would step to the free-throw line for two attempts. He would miss his both attempts, and return to defend the Tigers' offense. More than 40 seconds would elapse before Snyder would make good on 1-of-2 free-throw attempts.

UMES was 1-of-6 at the free-throw line through the first 11 minutes of the second half. A dunk by Kosile at 8:30 was the Hawks' last score, and at 7:01 UMES was running its offense. Donald Williams II would attempt a three-pointer, but the attempt would hit the rim and land in the hands of Savannah State.

The Tiger defense would hold UMES from scoring for more than three minutes, and push its lead to 22 points (63-41). Bell would break Savannah State's 10-0 run with a three pointer at 4:40.

Mays and Snyder would mark consecutive scores for UMES. Mays would score on a jumper in the paint, while Snyder converted two free throws while the Hawks were in the bonus.

With Kosile out of the game due to fouls, UMES went with a smaller five-guard line-up. Kosile scored the Hawks' last bucket from the field at 1:05. It would not be until Cowell converts two bonus free throws with 36.1 seconds in the game that UMES would score again. Cowell would attempt to score, but the final horn would sound before UMES dropped its season finale game to Savannah State 71-54.

UMES shot just under 40-percent from the field (21-of-55) and was 11-of-18 (.610) at the free-throw line.

Get Social

  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago