Louis Bell

March 4, 2013

Box Score

BALTIMORE, Md. --The University of Maryland Eastern Shore battled back from being down 10 points to fall to Coppin State 63-60 in the closing minutes of its Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference contest Monday night. Louis Bell and Troy Snyder finish with 17 points apiece in Hawks loss.

Troy Snyder opened the game for the Hawks with a three pointer from the left wing, bringing the Hawks within one-point of the lead in the first half. The score at 14:23 was 13-8 in Coppin State's favor, and in two minutes UMES would tally just two points. The Eagles would go on a 6-2 run between 14:30 and 11:57.

With the media timeout allowing the Hawks to regroup, Dominique Cowell would bring the Hawks within 10 points (23-13) with 9:03 remaining in the first half. The Hawks defense held Coppin State to just two points over the course of two minutes. Kevin Mays helped edge UMES closer with a 14-foot jumper. Mays would post back-to-back scores for the Hawks, and Cowell's defense would cause a Coppin State turnover to put the ball back in UMES' possession.

Still trailing by 10 points (31-21) at the under-four minute media timeout, UMES put together consecutive scoring runs to keep the game closer than the score indicated. Mays, Cowell and Snyder would collapse on an Eagle player to force a turnover in the Hawks' favor. Snyder and Cowell combined for four points to bring UMES within five points (31-26) with less than 30 seconds on the clock.

A block by Olatunji Kosile setup the Hawks five-point scoring effort, allowing Cowell to push the ball up the court and score on a floater in the paint. Opening the first half with possession of the ball, Kosile quickly got to work scoring a jumper in the paint at 19:29.



UMES battled back to within two points (31-29) to show the Hawks' tenacity. Following two missed shots, Snyder grabbed two boards to keep the Hawks in striking distance. Down six points (42-36) with 13:03 left in the game, Snyder would get fouled on a potential layup that would send him to the free-throw line.

UMES was 5-of-8 (.625) in the first half. He would convert his first attempt, and set to take his second. Snyder's second attempt would also drop, bringing the score to 42-38. Cowell's score in the pain brought the score to 42-40 with 11:30 remaining.

Louis Bell would bring the Hawks back within two points (45-43) as he nailed a three-point shot from the left wing. Managing the clock by moving the ball and taking smart shots, Bell's second three pointer gave UMES the lead in the second half at 9:33.

Forcing Coppin State to take an immediate timeout after Bell's converted three point shot, UMES took the court with more confidence. Coppin State would regain the lead after a three-pointer and two made free throws.

Kosile exclaimed with a dunk that UMES was not out of the game with 8:20 remaining in the contest. The Hawks had battled back from being down 10 points to within three points at 7:23.

Bell's third three of game tied the score at 51-all at 4:25. The Hawks continued to battle as the under-four minute media timeout allowed the team to regroup. UMES clawed within one-point on Bell's fourth three pointer of the half.

At the three-minute mark Bell had scored 17 points, and kept UMES with possession of the ball as he tracked down a rebound headed out of bounds. Snyder would follow a missed shot and get the put-back points for UMES.

Being aggressive works at times, but for Bell it would lead to his fifth and final foul of the day. Coppin State would again go up three points following a foul by Kosile. Forced to call a timeout, the team's last of the game, UMES took to the bench to draw up its play for the last 51.4 seconds of the game.

UMES trailed just one-point after an Ishaq Pitt basket at 20 seconds. A foul on the subsequent play sent Coppin State to the line to shoot two free throws. Converting both attempts put the Eagles back up 63-60.

The Hawks would have possession and an attempt to tie the game with 5.5 seconds left on the clock. Mays would look in the pain to score, get contact on his layup, but would not convert the attempt. Time would run out as the Hawks chased down the rebound .

Get Social

  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago