Mark Robertson

Feb. 25, 2012

Box Score |  Photo Gallery 

Princess Anne, Md. --With its win Saturday afternoon the University of Maryland Eastern Shore completed a season sweep of Morgan State University. Mark Robertson led all scorers with 22 points, and contributed to the Hawks 58-57 win in UMES' homecoming night contest.

Robertson was truly the hot-hand for the Hawks, scoring a career-high 22 points on 7-of-15 (.467) shooting from the field and better than 50-percent from three-point territory (7-of-13). Robertson had just nine points in the first half before finishing his career night.

Six of those points came on three pointers to give UMES the lead at two separate times. His first three put the Hawks up by one point at the start of the game, while his second shot lifted UMES from a tied game with 12:49 remaining in the first half.

Robertson continued to help the Hawks from beyond the three-point line making his first three pointer of the second half. UMES was up 31-27 following Robertson's score, but Morgan State continued to chip at the Hawk lead. The pair of teams was tied at 35-all by 16:06, and Morgan State took the lead at 39-36 with 14:11 remaining in the second half.

Gregory Womack converted a three-point shot to lift the Hawks by two. The score would be tied three times before Robertson hit back-to-back three pointers at 9:55 and 9:13 to lift UMES to a six-point (51-45) lead. Morgan State would again make a run on the lead cutting the UMES held advantage to just two points. Robertson again separated the two Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference foes with a three-point shot.

That would be Robertson's final basket of the game, allowing teammate Hillary Haley to score on two free throws late in the game to maintain the five-point advantage. Haley posted 13 points for the Hawks. He was 2-of-5 (.400) from the three-point line and 3-of-4 (.750) at the charity stripe.

While neither team led by more than seven points during the game, UMES controlled much of the contest, allowing Morgan State to take the lead just five times, a testament to the Hawks defensive play. UMES won the rebound battle (45-39) against the Bears, grabbing six more offensive rebounds (18) than Morgan State.

Tyler Hines finished with a game-high 11 rebounds, while adding six points and the team's second highest assists with four. Hines had an impressive nine offensive rebounds in his 30 minutes of play.

With 1:25 remaining in the game, UMES led by just two points (56-54) following a jumper by a Morgan State player to cut into the Hawks lead. UMES was unable to score on its following possession missing two shots from the floor.

The Bears Justin Black tied the game for the seventh time at 56-all with 12 seconds in the game. A foul committed by UMES on a Morgan State fast-break gave the Bears the opportunity to take the lead at the free-throw line. The first attempt was good and would give Morgan State the 57-56 lead with 10 seconds remaining in the game.

Percy Woods received the inbound pass from Robertson and sprint the length of the floor. Making his way to the basket, Woods went up with a lay-up on the right side, and while the shot was in the air he would be fouled on the play.

His shot rolled off the back iron on to the floor, but was given the opportunity to shoot two free throws. Woods' first shot went up-and-in, and the crowd roared. In an attempt to ice Woods, Morgan State called a timeout to break Woods' concentration.

Back at the free-throw line, Woods had just one more attempt to give UMES the lead and possible win with eight seconds left in the game. Again Woods' shot went up-and-in, giving UMES a 58-57 advantage with more than enough time for Morgan State to take a shot at the win.

Morgan State would inbound the ball, sprint the court and heave a shot from just inside the three-point elbow. The shot would rattle inside the basket, but pop out at as the horn buzzed signifying the end of the game.



Get Social

  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago