Troy Snyder

Feb. 20, 2013

Box Score |  Photo Gallery 

PRINCESS ANNE, Md. --Troy Snyder finished with game-high 17 points in the Hawks 63-59 loss to Hampton University. The University of Maryland Eastern Shore is 1-1 in its last two contests, defeating Coppin State on Monday 64-62 in double overtime.

Louis Bell opened the game with a three pointer for the Hawks, giving UMES its largest lead of the game at 19:17. Hampton took the lead shortly after Bell's score, and would not relinquish its advantage for the remainder of the game.

Snyder would bring the Hawks within four points (20-17) at 5:35 on two free throws. Snyder was 6-of-7 (.857) from the charity stripe. The Hawks shot better than 71.4-percent from the free-throw line. UMES fell behind by as much as 10 points at 3:38 as Hampton went on a 7-0 run in a span of two minutes.

Kevin Mays brought the Hawks within five points (27-22) with 10 seconds remaining. Dominique Cowell edged the Hawks closer with a layup at 14:49 (34-31). UMES kept the point differential within single digits until 6:47 when Hampton pushed its lead to 50-39.

Dominique Cowell created a steal and sprinted the court for an easy layup to bring UMES within three (32-29) at the 15-minute mark. Kevin Mays followed up on a missed layup to keep UMES within three at 36-33. An attempted dunk by Hampton was blocked by Olatunji Kosile to give the Hawks a bit of momentum at 12:20 in the second half.

Donald Williams II converted on a three pointer to bring the Hawks back within three points at 10:30. The Hawks fell behind by seven points (40-33) at the under 12-minute mark.

Down by six after Hampton scored on a dunk and three-pointer, UMES would lose out on a scoring opportunity on its next possession. Kosile would get his second block of the game at 9:40.

Over three minutes would pass, and the Hawks would fall behind by 10 points (48-38). By the 5:06 mark in the game, UMES had cut the lead back to single digits after a layup by Snyder. Mays would score on the next Hawks' possession. The glimmer of possibility came after a three pointer by Snyder brought UMES within seven points (57-50).

A Hampton player would turn the ball over to Mays; he would dish the ball to Kosile for the dunk and bring UMES within five points at 1:47. It was the closest UMES had been to Hampton's lead since 10:39 when it trailed by four points.

A score in the paint by Snyder put Hampton on its heels, and closed the gap to 57-56 with one-minute remaining in the game.

Two made free throws by the Pirates gave it a slight breath of relief, and would ease into its lead over three possessions spanning six seconds. Up seven points (63-56) with four seconds remaining, Cowell would hit a three pointer with two seconds remaining to end the game 63-59.

UMES will have several days off, hosting Howard in its last game at the Hytche Monday, Feb. 25 at 7:30 p.m. It will also be senior night for the Hawks.



Get Social

  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago