Hawks Falter Late Again in South Carolina State
Jan. 15, 2018

Final Stats

ORANGEBURG, South Carolina -

Maryland Eastern Shore mens basketball let a 13-point second half lead slip away at South Carolina State, falling to the Bulldogs 66-62 on Monday night at S-H-M Memorial Center.

I really dont know what to say. We keep giving games away, said Hawks head coach Bobby Collins after another backslide. Until our guys start being coachable, this is what will happen night in and night out. Were right there, we just have to find a way to finish the game.

Initially down 19-10 halfway through the opening session, the Hawks (5-15, 1-4) went on a 12-0 run over the next three minutes, capturing the lead on an Ahmad Frost (Cincinnati, Ohio) trey. Logan McIntosh (Atlanta, Georgia) later connected from deep with 25 seconds left in the half, capping a 22-6 clip that put The Shore up 32-25 at the break.

Eastern Shore peaked with a Cameron Bacote (Hampton, Virginia) three-pointer two minutes into the second half to go up 40-27. The Hawks kept the Bulldogs (7-12, 3-1) at an arms length until the 11:37 mark, when the hosts made their move.



Justin Jones knocked down a three to get SCSU within single digits at 49-42. After a LeAndre Thomas (St. Petersburg, Florida) layup on the Hawks end, Ozante Fields nailed a jumper to make it a seven-point game again. The Bulldogs kept within five-to-eight points over the next five minutes, then with 5:19 to go Patrell Rogers exploded for a dunk that made it a one-possession Hawk lead at 56-53.

Janai Rayner-Powells layup got the home side within one, and Rogers again came through with a fastbreak and-one; the ensuing free throw gave SCSU a 58-56 lead with 3:47 to go, but the Hawks got an immediate answer from Frost, who got clotheslined after sinking a straightway three and converted his third four-point play in five games to put The Shore back up 60-58.

After Frost and Miryne Thomas (Cleveland, Ohio) fouled out for the Hawks, the Bulldogs worked back to a tie, and the game stood even at 62 with under a minute to play. Ian Kinard cut into with 41 seconds to play and flicked in a layup to put SCSU back on top 64-62. On the Hawks next possession, Tyler Jones (Atlantic City, New Jersey) had an open look from three on the left wing but left it short. Rayner-Powell hauled in the rebound and sank both free throws after the foul, putting the game on ice.

Frost bounced back from a rough Saturday to lead all scorers with 16 points. McIntosh added 13, shooting 5-of-7 from the floor and knocking down all three of his treys.

Rayner-Powell and Damani Applewhite led a balanced SCSU attack with 13 points each. Rogers added 11 off the bench. Kinards game-winner in the final minute was his only field goal of the night; he finished with seven points, eight rebounds, and three blocks.

The Hawks have now lost three MEAC games in which they held a lead inside five minutes to go.

Eastern Shore now returns home for the better part of four weeks as four of its next four games are in the friendly confines of the Hytche Athletic Center. The Hawks welcome North Carolina A&T to town on Saturday afternoon. Tip is set for 4 p.m. Saturdays game will be broadcast locally on flagship radio station Fox Sports 960 AM WTGM and online at EasternShoreHawks.com. Pregame coverage starts at 3:45 p.m. with Will DeBoer and Dave Byrd on the call for The Shore Sports Network.

Get Social

  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago