Percy Woods takes a shot in the paint.

Jan. 15, 2012

Box Score |  Photo Gallery 

Dover, Del. -- The University of Maryland Eastern Shore defeated Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference rival Delaware State 63-60 in overtime Saturday. The win evens the team's head-to-head record at 1-1, with each team winning on the opponent's home court. The Hawks' Ronald Spencer led all scorers with 17 points and notched six rebounds.

Spencer had just seven points by halftime, but was already making his presence felt at both ends of the floor. He was 8-of-10 (.800) from the field for the game. Spencer scored a lay-up at 1:46 in the first period that began a 9-1 run for the Hawks.

"We played a solid team in Delaware State tonight," said head coach Frankie Allen. "But we played with a lot of heart to win this game."

The heart of the offense began with Percy Woods scoring 11 first half points for the Hawks, giving UMES an offensive spark from the tip. Woods was 5-of-10 (.500) from the field for the game while hitting 2-of-3 from behind the three-point line. Woods finished with 13 points and four assists.

UMES had scored 18 points in the paint and another 10 points off Delaware State turnovers to lead 36-28 entering intermission. After opening the first 10 minutes of the game shooting less than 28 percent from the field, UMES closed out the first period shooting 46.4 percent.

This was the Hawks sixth time leading entering intermission. In the team's earlier match up with Delaware State, UMES led 35-31 at the half.

Spencer again made a jumper from 12-feet out in the opening minutes of the second half to give the Hawks its largest lead of the night at 12 points (46-34). From that moment something switched in the game that allowed Delaware State to cut the Hawks lead to just two points (50-48) in a little under six minutes of play.

UMES continued to keep the Hornets at a distance. Louis Bell knocked down three of his 10 points with 3:42 remaining in the second period. At that time the Hawks had a 55-50 lead, but UMES had no time to relax.

A steal by Pina Guillaume at half-court gave light to possibly scoring a few points to open the game in the Hawks favor, but a subsequent turnover allowed Delaware State to convert a basket. With UMES now up 55-54, the Hawks had to be mistake free. Following a foul by UMES, the Hornets were able to take its awarded bonus shots.

Marques Oliver made the first, tying the game 55-55, but missed his second shot with 32-seconds left in the game.

With the ball in Woods hands the Hawks offense scrambled to get a decent shot, but a tough Delaware State defense would not allow Woods to pass the ball. With seconds until the end of the game, Woods jumped from two-feet behind the three-point line to score the winning basket; but his shot would clink the back iron and land out of bounds, ending of regulation.

Spencer opened overtime giving UMES the first bucket, shortly after the Hornets tied the game up. The offensive style that the Hawks opened the game with seemed to be present in the opening minutes of overtime. The two teams would exchange baskets, with either team taking a one-point advantage. Guillaume would receive the ball at the free-throw line and sink his shot for the Hawks.

With UMES up 61-60, Ishaq Pitt was fouled and given two free-throw attempts. He made his first, which gave the Hawks a two-point advantage. His second shot rimmed out and landed into the hands of Bell who was fouled immediately.

At the line, Bell made his first attempt, bringing a joyous roar from the Hawk fans. Bell's second attempt bounced off the rim and into a Hornets player's hands. Although he heaved his shot towards the basket time expired giving UMES the overtime win.



Get Social

  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago