April 5, 2005

Box Score

PRINCESS ANNE, MD - The University of Maryland Eastern Shore (5-25) split a pair of seven-inning games with Mount St. Mary's University (8-12) on Tuesday afternoon. UMES won the first game 6-5 in extra innings, before dropping game two 9-8 in extra innings as they scored seven runs in the final inning leaving the winning run at third base.

In game one of the double-header, the Fighting Hawks blew a 5-4 lead in the top of the last inning, only to win with a RBI-single by Bernie Stratchko in the eighth inning.

UMES fell behind 4-0 as the Mount scored a pair in the first on a two-run homerun by Adam Schlenoff. They added single tallies in the third and fourth innings off of starter Ken Richardson.

The Fighting Hawks cut the lead in half in the bottom of the fourth inning as Rob Benak drove in Brandon McCabe and Craig Munch on a single to left. UMES grabbed the lead in fifth inning as Craig Munch hit a two-run triple to right field and then scored on a RBI pinch-hit double by Greg Cathell.

Lead 5-4 in the sixth, Richardson faced two batters recording one out and walking another. He was replaced by Dusty Webster, who walked the only batter he faced. Butch Mills came in to relieve Webster and walked the bases loaded as he too only faced one batter.

Head Coach Bobby Rodriguez then turned to Pete Mayta, who started the game at second base. Mayta was able to get back-to-back groundballs to close out the inning without surrendering the tying run.



In the seventh, Mayta retired the first two batters quickly, before two mistakes put the tying runner in scoring position. Mount pinch-hitter Blake Burkey was hit by the first pitch he saw and then advanced to second on a wild pitch. Then a critical two-out hit by Mike Gioioso tied the game sending it to extra innings.

In the eighth, Munch led the inning off with his second triple. Mount St. Mary's then intentionally walked Justin Hoban and Angel Bermudez to load the bases, setting up a force at home. However, Stratchko took the first pitch over the centerfielders head bringing home the winning run. The win was the Fighting Hawks fourth win in their last at-bat and was the second straight win at home.

In game two, the Mount once again scored first as a lead-off walk by James Walls came around to score on an RBI-double by Joseph Hayes. The Fighting Hawks quickly responded with a run of their own in the second as a lead off walk by Andrew Germuth came around to score on a Ronald Quick RBI-double.

Walls then ran into trouble in the third allowing five runs on four hits including back-to-back RBI-doubles. Mills replaced Walls in the third and allowed one hit before getting the last two outs. The Mount added a single run in the fourth without recording a hit as UMES walked the bases loaded, the got a line-out double play before a run scored on a double-steal.

Trailing 7-1, the Fighting Hawks could not get anything going against Germuth as he retired 13 of 15 before entering the sixth inning. Of the 13 he retired, he recorded eight strikeouts. Ryan Millea then replaced Germuth in the last inning.

UMES was able to load the bases with no one out on a two-base error, then a four-pitch walk and finally a hit-by-pitch. Millea was then replaced Aaron Haslem, who proceeded to give up a two-run double to Earlee Corbin. Finally Haslem was replaced by Sigismondi, who gave up a single to Adam Merritt that drove in another run with one-out to cut the score to 8-5. Then a single by Hoban brought Rob Benak to the plate representing the game tying run.

Benak, who struck out in his first two at-bats, delivered with a two-run double into the left field corner. Stratchko came up with the tying run at second, he not only drove him home but tripled to the rightfield gap placing himself just 90-feet from scoring the winning run. Quick followed and with a 1-1 count ripped the ball down the rightfield line and it land just a foot foul. The Mount was able to retire Quick and send the second game into extra innings.

Mount St. Mary's was able to get the lead off hitter on base as he singled and then was sacrificed to second. Mount got a key two-out hit by Gioioso to take a 9-8 lead into the bottom of the eighth. UMES got the first two batters on base, but could not get them any farther as Steve Stoner recorded the save for Sigismondi.

UMES did get a solid performance in relief from Daniel Sterling who pitched four innings giving up only one run on two hits. Brad Powell pitched the eighth for the Hawks and fell to 0-5 on the season.

The Fighting Hawks will return to action this Thursday, April 7, 2005 as they will play host to Savannah State. The double-header will begin at 1:00 p.m.

Get Social

  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago