April 3, 2005

Box Score

GREENSBORO, N.C. - Following a double-header sweep in which the University of Maryland Eastern Shore (4-24, 1-11) was outscored 36-7 by N.C. A&T (15-20, 8-4), the Fighting Hawks rebounded to take a 7-6 lead into the seventh, but eventually fell 15-8 on Sunday afternoon.

With the wind blowing at around 25 mph straight out to center, UMES once again jumped out to the early lead as in the top of the first Brandon McCabe hit a RBI-double to the gap in right-center scoring Joel Maher from first base. However, similar to the first two games of the series, the Aggies responded in the bottom of that very inning with the first four batters reaching base.

With the bases loaded and no one out and one run already in, Patrick Oates ripped a line-drive toward third which Bernie Stratchko was able to grab diving to his left for the first out. Raul Santiago then followed with a swinging strike out giving UMES starter Jason Janeski the chance to escape with out any real damage. Joe McIntyre flied out to short and the game was tied at 1-1 after one inning.

In the second, the maroon gray took advantage of the second defensive error for the Aggies as Ronald Quick singled to right and Pete Mayta blasted a double into the right field corner scoring Stratchko. With runners at second and third and one out, Maher sacrificed home Quick with a deep fly ball to center for the 3-1 lead.

Yet again, the Aggies answered retaking the lead in the bottom of the second as they scored four times, three of which were unearned and with two-outs. N.C. A&T added another single run in the third on yet another two-out single.

Both teams went in order in the fourth. In the fifth, UMES cut into the Aggie lead as Maher and Gaines both reached base to lead off the inning. McCabe then followed with an RBI-single and Munch's hustle allowed him to beat out the play at first on a double-play ball and he then beat the play at second as the shortstop bobbled a ground-ball to second which allowed Gaines to score.



Trailing 6-5, the Fighting Hawks held N.C. A&T scoreless for the second straight inning allowing themselves the opportunity to tie or take the lead in the top of the sixth as Ronald Quick led the inning off with a double to the wall in right center. Pete Mayta tied the game with an RBI-single to center but was picked off at first.

Mayta, who didn't record his first hit or even reach base until his 28th at-bat, is hitting .467 over his last four games (7-15), with five runs scored and three RBI's.

Maher followed with a walk and Gaines then singled to center on a hit and run. As Maher went to third, what appeared to be a throwing error allowed Maher to score and Gaines moved to second, but the umpires ruled a dead ball and made Maher return to third, but allowed Gaines to stay at second. With only one out still, the Aggies walked McCabe to load the bases. Munch then followed with a sacrifice fly to right scoring Maher as UMES regained the lead at 7-6.

Janeski continued to dominate as he held the Aggies scoreless in the sixth as retired 10 of the last 12 batters he faced. The only two that reached base, reached via a walk and a hit-by-pitch.

In the top of the seventh, Quick led off with another hit to right field and then Mayta reached on the Aggies fifth error of the afternoon, but the defense responded with a 6-4-3 double-play to end the inning and keep themselves within a run.

In the bottom of the seventh, Dusty Webster replaced Janeski on the mound. Janeski, who has yet to get a win in his first season at UMES, went six innings giving up six runs, three earned on seven hits in the no decision. This was the sixth straight start for Janeski in which he had allowed three or less earned runs with this being his longest outing over that streak.

Webster could not hold the slim lead as a lead-off single to Charlie Gamble steam rolled into a big inning for the Aggies in which they scored five runs on four hits, a walk and a two two-out errors. Rob Benak closed out the seventh inning for Webster (0-2) retiring Gamble as the Fighting Hawks now trailed 11-7.

UMES added a single run in the eighth on two hits and an error, but left two stranded with only one out and once again the Aggies took advantage scoring two more runs off of Benak before he was replaced my Mayta, who gave up two runs on four hits.

UMES will look to rebound from a disappointing weekend trip to Greensboro as they begin a home stand that will see them play eight of their next nine games in Princess Anne, Maryland starting with Mount Saint Mary's on Tuesday, April 5th at 1:00 p.m.

Get Social

  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago