All groups, departments, individuals and companies are required to obtain approval from the Licensing Department or Strategic Marketing Affiliates before producing any products that use the institution's registered name(s), trademarks and/or service marks. Approval is required regardless of use or method of distribution.

Manufacturers of commercial products bearing any UMES
marks, including the athletic logos, must have a license before offering these goods for sale. No product will be licensed without the approval of UMES' Licensing Department.

When you purchase University of Maryland Eastern Shore
merchandise, make certain the merchandise contains the "Officially Licensed Collegiate Products Tag." This tag indicates you are buying products approved by the University; any items not bearing the tag may be a trademark infringement.


What is a trademark license?
A trademark license is a written legal agreement between the owner of the trademark (licensor: University of Maryland Eastern Shore) and a manufacture/vendor (licensee). The license grants permission to the licensee to affix the licensor's trademark(s) on a product(s).This license must be in place before use of the marks.

Who needs an official license?
If your order will include a University mark in the design, it must be purchased from an official licensee. If you wish to use a manufacturer/vendor that is not on the list, please contact the UMES Licensing and Trademark office before placing any orders.

What is a trademark or logo?
Trademarks include the University Seal, word marks, trademarks, and registered marks of UMES. These marks have been developed to symbolize the University's purpose, values, and traditions. The UMES logos are trademarked and may not be altered in any way.

What are the benefits of a trademark licensing program?
A trademark licensing program provides three main benefits:

• Promotes the institution in a positive, consistent, and uniform manner.

• Protects all of the institution's trademarks, service marks, and logos from unauthorized use.

• Protects consumers from inferior products bearing the institutional marks.

Who must be licensed?
Any person, business, group, or organization desiring to produce merchandise bearing UMES trademarks, logos, or verbiage is required to obtain a license.

Are Student organizations or campus departments required to obtain permission to use the University names/marks/logos on items used as giveaways, fundraisers, or for internal use (shirts for staff, plaques, etc.)?
Yes, in order for the University to maintain and protect its value, permission must be obtained from the University of Maryland Eastern Shore Licensing and Trademark Office and a licensed vendor must be used. What products can be licensed? Most products will be considered for a license; however, the University reserves the right to refuse a license to any person, organization, or business. The university will not license products deemed inappropriate.

How can I tell if the product I am purchasing is a licensed product?
All licensed merchandise should have a label which states "Officially Licensed Collegiate Product".

Get Social

  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago